The GLAD program (Good Life with Arthritis: Denmark) is an exercise and education program developed by researchers in Denmark, and is an evidence-based program for those suffering from hip or knee osteoarthritis. It is a first line treatment program for knee and hip osteoarthritis, and is as a program aimed at improving pain, function and quality of life for people living with knee and hip osteoarthritis.
The GLAD program has been found to;
• Reduce pain by 35-42%
• Reduce pain medication use
• Improve quality of life by 38-39%
• Increased physical activity level
Who can attend the GLAD program?
• Anyone suffering pain due to hip or knee osteoarthritis. The GLAD program caters for all individuals, no matter what severity of osteoarthritis you have.
Who runs the GLAD program?
The GLAD program is run by accredited physiotherapists who have completed extra training in the delivery of the GLAD program.
What does the GLAD program involve?
The GLAD program consists of
• An initial appointment; your physiotherapist will discuss the program, expectations and gather information and baseline measures to work from. You will also be sent a questionnaire to complete prior to starting the program, as well as at 3 and 12 months after commencing.
• Two education sessions; your physiotherapist discussing topics such as what is osteoarthritis, risk factors, symptoms, treatment, exercise and more, including how to maintain the improvements once the program has finished
• Small group exercise sessions twice per week for 6 weeks. This involves building strength and control, gradually loading the joint. Each session is graded to the individuals ability as assessed by the physiotherapist
• End of program final assessment. Your physiotherapist will compare your results to the initial appointment baseline measures to determine how well you have progressed, as well as discuss recommendations for future management and maintenance of your improvements
Do I need a referral to attend the GLAD program?
You do not require a referral to attend the program. You may however we eligible for a medicare rebate if your GP deems you suitable and provides a medicare referral.
If you have private health insurance with extras cover, physiotherapy rebates will apply.
Why choose the GLAD program?
The GLAD program is an intensive program, requiring a commitment to improve your health and quality of life. It has proven to be effective, and as a result many people are choosing to participate in the GLAD program to allow them to return to activities they have been unable to do for years due to improvements in both pain and function.
For more information regarding the GLAD program at Seville Health, or if you are unsure if it is suitable for you, contact the clinic on 03 5964 2393